Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mass Am Championship

sees three W. Mass

golfers advance to match play

by The Republican Sports Desk
Tuesday July 14, 2009, 10:38 PM

By JUSTIN RICE

BROOKLINE - Three players from Western Massachusetts qualified for match play in the 101st Massachusetts Amateur Championship at The Country Club.

Match play begins today, and is scheduled to finish Friday.

Ronald Laverdiere (71-75-146) of Crumpin-Fox Club finished the stroke play portion of the tournament in 11th at 4-over-par, while Bill Drohen (76-71-147) and his brother Andy (77-70-147), of Bradford CC, and Crestview CC, respectively, finished tied for 12th.

"He beat me by one yesterday, and I beat him by one today," said Andy, 40, of Bill, 35, who caddied for him when he won the Massachusetts Amateur in 2003. "I'm disappointed he's not caddying for me, but hopefully we'll meet up in the finals."

Laverdiere slipped a bit after he was tied for fourth entering Tuesday. But it's match play now, so it really doesn't matter.

"Today wasn't as good as yesterday," Laverdiere said. "A 71 on the Championship Course, I was striping it - it was a sweetheart day.

"You only get those once in a while. And to get in on the U.S. Open Championship Course is very cool. Today was just a grind. But I ground it out enough to make match play."

It wasn't so good for another local.

Bobby Loguidice couldn't keep his momentum going after a 4-over-par 75 on Monday put him tied for 12th. He shot 85 Tuesday.

"It just didn't come together," Loguidice said. "I fought as hard as I could, but I couldn't get things to go my way."

Loguidice had never played at TCC. Working a fulltime finance job in Connecticut, Loguidice plays about 36 to 45 holes a week, but did not get a chance to play a practice round.

"It's tough to look at a 75 and say you could've been under par easily," Loguidice said. "I made a couple mental mistakes and shots I didn't capitalize on. I was excited to play (Tuesday). I was happy with where I finished (Monday), it just didn't come together for me today.

"(Monday) proved I can hang in there with the best guys. I just have to correct a few minor flaws, and I can make more of an impact in future events."

Monday, the pin on the par-4 17th was in the same spot it was when Justin Leonard hit a 45-foot putt for birdie to help give the United States its historic come-from-behind Ryder Cup victory in 1999.

"I had a putt similar to his, only I couldn't channel his magic," Loguidice said.

Jack Kearney (Elmcrest Country Club), who was tied for 32nd after the first round, just barely missed the cut. He finished tied for 33rd at 9-over 151.

South Hadley's Mickey Werenski, 15, the youngest player in the field, shot 76. He was even at the turn. After making two birdies on the front, he had none on the back. The Orchards GC member finished at 153, 11-over par.

"It was just a really good experience," Werenski said. "It was good to come and play at The Country Club."

Other local players who failed to make the cut included Mike Slosek (79-73-152), Paul Buttafuoco (82-71-153), Guy Antonacci (79-74-153), Pat Pio (81-74-155), Robert Linn (80-76-156), Derek Hoy (80-76-156), Chris Burke (78-78-156), Jim Hosey (78-80-158), John Dahroughe (88-72-160), Nick Pokora (82-83-165) and Ralph Strolis (85-92-177).

No comments: