Thursday, February 11, 2010

Photo courtesy Harvard University

Harvard University senior Doug Rogers, of Watertown, skates in his final season with the Crimson before looking ahead to a hopeful career in the NHL.

By Justin A. Rice/Daily News correspondent
Posted Feb 11, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

Playing in Monday night's Beanpot consolation game against Northeastern University was better than no Beanpot at all for Doug Rogers.

The Harvard senior forward from Watertown missed the opening round of the annual winter carnival at the TD Garden last Monday night with back spasms, but was glad to be back on the ice this week for his final Beanpot - despite a 4-1 loss to the Huskies.

``You want to play in as many games as possible,'' Rogers said before Boston University and Boston College met in the championship bout. ``It goes without saying I'd rather be in the championship game, of course, and I was disappointed I missed the game last Monday. But it was nice to play in my final game in the Beanpot as a senior, at the very least. It's just too bad we lost.''

The pain from his back spasms was nothing compared to the pain of watching the Crimson lose 6-0 to Boston College in the first round last Monday.

``It was tough,'' said Rogers, who played high school hockey for St. Sebastian's and was drafted by the New York Islanders in 2006. ``I wanted to be out there more than anything, especially being from Watertown - a local guy. I grew up watching the Beanpot. As a kid growing up, I always wanted to be in the Beanpot and play in it. So it was very unfortunate I got hurt against Princeton the Friday before and missed the game against BC.

``That's the way it goes sometimes and you just have to deal with it.''

Monday night was a tough loss to take too.

``That's hockey, sometimes you don't always get the first goal,'' he said. ``I don't think we played great in the first period, and we fought back well, and then I think we made bad decisions in the third period, and ultimately ended up losing the game.

``That happens, teams will score goals. It's a 60-minute hockey game and you can't get rattled by the first goal. You have to keep going with the game plan. I don't think we were worried about that. It's just that we made bad decisions at some crucial times.''

Harvard (6-14-3) lost to Yale, 6-3, on Saturday after beating Brown, 5-2, the previous game. Rogers tallied two goals and added an assist in that win only a day after returning from his injury.

``I got a couple goals and an assist, it was a good game to come back to and gave me some confidence,'' said Rogers, who has five goals and five assists this season. ``I'm glad I didn't lose a step when I was out.''

Now Rogers has six games left before the end of his senior season and college career. He said he just has to go out, and do his best, and try to enjoy the final few games.

``There's still hope in the season,'' he said. ``We're probably right in the middle of the pack in our league. I don't think we have a chance to get an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament, but anything can happen. You can get hot at the end of the year, and just hold onto that thought, and put your best foot forward and see what happens.''

He also can look forward to making a go of it in the Islanders organization. The Islanders selected Rogers as their fourth-round choice in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft after taking notice of Rogers' success with St. Sebastian's high school.

Rogers said there's a possibility he could join one of the Islanders' minor league teams once the Harvard season ends.

``We'll see what happens, I hope that happens,'' he said, ``and if not I'll train hard this summer and see what happens next year.''

One thing he has going for him with the Islanders is the fact that head coach Scott Gordon is also a Massachusetts man, hailing from Easton.

``I met him briefly last year at the Islanders summer camp but besides that (I have not talked to him) much,'' Rogers said. ``It's definitely a little comforting. You'd like to think Massachusetts guys take care of each other. But it's a business there, so you have to do your best.

``But it's nice to know you've got that connection.''

He'll always have a connection to the Beanpot too.

``I kind of felt it before the game, the last time I'd be playing in a Beanpot setting,'' he said. ``It was fun.''


No comments: