Sunday, March 8, 2009

Special to the Patriot Ledger
Posted Mar 06, 2009 @ 10:28 PM

BOSTON —

Four must be Molly O’Dea’s lucky number.

For the second straight week, the Hingham High School hurdler was seeded fourth at a major meet and worked her way up to take her turn at the top of the podium in the New England High School Track and Field Championships.

The junior won at All-States a week ago with a personal-record time of 7.28 after tying Hannah Janeczak of Doherty High in a photo finish that was ultimately decided in her favor.

The same thing happened at divisional states, she said after setting a new personal record, and resetting the school record she set at All-States.

“I was so nervous today,” O’ Dea said. “I couldn’t eat. I think the nerves pushed me. I was so anxious to get this done and see what would happen.

“Janeczak helped me run faster. Competition always helps.”

O’Dea was only eighth at All-States last year.

“It’s crazy to think my fastest time was 7.39 last year,” said O’Dea, who will be lucky to draw No. 4 at next Friday’s Nike National Indoor meet, also at the Reggie Lewis Center.

Boston College High’s Corey Thomas, who continued his undefeated streaks in both the 55 hurdles and high jump, will also be looking for a little luck at the Nike meet. His goal of breaking 7-feet once again eluded him on Friday night.

The junior who won All-States in the high jump by clearing 6-11 failed to clear that height Friday, but ended up winning at 6-7.

“My legs were hurting and I was more in the mood to run,” he said after clocking the fourth fastest 55-meter hurdle time in New England (7.42) and the second fastest time in Massachusetts by dropping his personal best from a 7.51. “Today it was just running.

I was feeling it. I was like ‘OK, the high jump wasn’t the way I planned it, but a win’s a win.’ Today it peaked perfectly for hurdles, so maybe at Nationals it will peak for both.”

Thomas said all he can do is hope his body knows when he needs it to peak.

“ I did the same thing last year,” said Thomas, who is gunning to beat Ohio’s Erick Kynard, whose PR is 7-2, at the Nike meet. “I hit a certain mark and went down a little, but out of nowhere I went right back up. My body needs to relax. Come nationals, Ohio better watch out. It’s gonna be a battle.”

Thomas’s teammate, Michael Murphy, will also compete in Fridays national meet after finishing fourth in the shot put with a toss of 53-06.

“I wanted my PR, but I didn’t quite get it,” said Murphy, who was third at All-States with a toss of 54-03.25. “I was a little bit off but next week should be better.”

The Randolph boys 4x400 meter relay was also victorious, winning the final event of the evening in a time of 3:27.25 despite being seeded fourth in the event. The team (Emanuel Jean, Michael Miranda Devlin Crawford and Godfred Mbengam) gained confidence earlier in the night by finishing third (1:33.01) in the 4x200.

“Our guys worked hard all year and the hard work paid off today,” Randolph coach Darcey Welch said.

Randolph was seeded fifth in the 4x200 and decided to move its fastest runners to the front two legs to give itself a chance. The gamble paid off as they finished behind Westford (132.70) and Andover (131.08).

“We kept it close,” Jean said after being moved form the anchor to the opening leg. “We handed off the baton before or almost at the same time as Andover. We did what we had to do and now we’re No. 1 in New England.”

Also finishing in the top six last night was Braintree’s Mathew Hinthorne in the 600 meter run (sixth, 1:23.41).

No comments: