Sunday, March 8, 2009

The MetroWest Daily News
Posted Mar 07, 2009 @ 12:27 AM

BOSTON — Even though Framingham's nationally ranked senior Camille Murphy and her biggest local foe, Lincoln-Sudbury's senior Ellie Hylton, opted out of last night's New England Indoor Track & Field Championships, there was no shortage of fireworks in the 1000 meters at the Reggie Lewis Center.

While Murphy, who won the 1000 by defeating Hylton by .62 seconds in last week's All-State meet, didn't run last night presumably to rest up for next week's Nike Indoor Nationals, also at the Reggie Lewis Center, Nashoba senior Joe Doyle didn't hold anything back for next week's big meet.

Doyle recorded the eighth-fastest time in the country in the boys 1000 this year by winning the event in 2:28.93.

"I just took it out fast like last week," said Doyle, referring to his All-State victory with a time of 2:29.16. "I just stuck with it until the last lap. I did my best to get the crowd going which made me push harder."

It was a huge improvement from Doyle's eighth-place finish at New Englands last year.

"I just practiced like crazy and worked harder," said Doyle, who said he broke his personal best by about a second last night and is looking forward to running the 800 meters at the Nike meet.

Hudson senior Luke Doherty-Munro was sixth (2:32.78) in the 1000.

"I can't say I'm upset," Doherty-Munro said. "I feel like I didn't get off the line as quick as I wanted to. Sixth in New Englands is nothing to complain about. I'm happy I could get in there enough to sneak in (the top 6)."

Emmaline Berg, a senior from Holliston, recovered from the flu and a second-place finish in the girls shot put at All-States (42-6) to win New Englands last night with a toss of 42 feet, 4.25 inches. She was seeded third in the event she finished fourth in last year.

"I worked really hard this week," said Berg, who finally started feeling healthy last weekend. "I knew I could come in first because the girl (seeded) first (Nalis Mbianda of Newton South), I threw farther than her at the Elite Invitational."

Mbianda finished fourth last night (40-6.25), and another formidable foe, Kelly McCabe of Mansfield, was second (41-1.50).

"I knew (Mbianda) has been throwing crazy long throws and I just had to hold my breath when she and Kelly got up to throw," Berg said.

In the girls 2-mile, Natick senior Rebecca White (6th in 11:10.47) and Holliston's Rosie Keogh (7th, 11:18.11), as expected, finished well behind Bromfield's top-seeded Emily Jones, who placed first in 10:35.47.

Nevertheless, White said it was probably more intimidating for the out-of-state runners to go up against Jones.

"I've ran with her before so I know what it is like," White said. "As soon as it started my legs were dead. I don't know why. I knew it wouldn't be a good race after the first mile."

After finishing tied for second in the girls high jump last night, Haley Laird of Algonquin will also compete in a national meet next week at the New York Armory's National Scholastic Indoor Championships from March 13-15. Laird, who finished second at All-States by clearing 5-6, was disappointed with her jump of 5-5 yesterday.

"I'm pleased in the sense of making it this far," she said.

In the boys high jump, Corey Fairfield of Millis also finished third, clearing 6-5, and Wellesley's Michael Blair was ninth (6-3). Natick's Tommy Brandt qualified for the Nike Indoor Championships by finishing fifth in the boys 55-meter hurdles in a school-record 7.71.

Nashoba's Alee Wade was fourth in the girls 300 (40.75), Hopkinton's Cecily Boyce was sixth in the girls long jump (16-10) and Westborough's Byron Jones was sixth in the boys mile (4:23.53).

No comments: