Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Donovan falls to fourth

after shooting 72

by The Republican Sports Desk
Tuesday June 23, 2009, 9:11 PM

By JUSTIN RICE

BELMONT - Two of the best golfers in Western Massachusetts might have benefited from a little more of the wet stuff Tuesday at the 100th Massachusetts Open.

Leading the tournament going into Tuesday's second round at Belmont Country Club, Matt Donovan of Pittsfield fell off the pace after shooting 72 and is in fourth place at 2-under-par 140 going into today's final round.

Adam Rainaud of South Hadley also liked Monday's monsoon. He shot 74 Tuesday after an opening 73 to take a share of sixth place.

"It's pleasant to see that," Donovan said before admitting he almost hoped for worse weather. "It definitely brings some of the feeling back, but when you got a lead like that and are playing well you almost want to see the bad weather (continue) and hang in there. I still have to play good. I didn't expect to maintain my lead. I have to go out and play hard (Wednesday) and make some putts."

Rainaud said the rain actually makes it easier to play because it softens the greens. "It's the wind and the wind that makes it tough," he said.

"Today was definitely a lot easier conditions," said Rainaud, whose home course is The Orchards. "I would say I never had to use my umbrella (Tuesday). I just wore rain pants and stayed pretty dry. (Monday) was pretty darn wet and windier. I think my short game wasn't as good today."

Rob Oppenheim of Orlando, Fla., posted a Tuesday's-best score of 6-under par 65 to take the lead. The Andover native and 2002 Massachusetts Amateur champion has a two-day total of 5-under par 136.

Ben Spitz of Norwell is second and leads all amateurs at 138.

Jason Parajeckas of Pleasant Valley CC in Sutton fired a 66 and is third at 139.

"It was a much different day for sure, I grinded, it wasn't easy," Donovan said. "I played the front nine, the back nine for me, with two bogeys, and at the turn I was 2-over."

Even though he didn't putt well Tuesday, Donovan did finish on a positive note, sinking a 20-footer for birdie on the last hole.

"All in all it wasn't a bad day for having a cold putter," he said. "I'll work on my putting tonight."

The 150-player field was reduced to the low 46 scorers, including Billy Downes of Hampden Country Club.

The 43-year-old shot an even-par 71 and is tied for 12th at 146 with four others. Downes made 16 pars, a birdie and a bogey.

''After (Monday), it was kind of difficult," said Downes, who was soaked that afternoon as he shot 75 and wound up tied for 24th.

The first-year head pro at Hampden Country Club, who has been playing tournaments since 1989, is still trying to get back to form.

"I'd just like to hit a little better," Downes said. "I haven't been playing a lot of golf, so it's nice. I just hope to get a couple more rounds under my belt; I'm just struggling with my swing.

Steve Alminas of Longmeadow Country Club finished at 157 (85-75) and missed the cut, tying for 75th place. He said the combination of the rain and tough course took it out of him on Monday. That's why he was relieved when he looked out his window Tuesday morning and didn't see any rain.

"I thought maybe I could go out and play a great round and maybe I'll be able to make the cut at least," said Alminas, who has won the state four-ball with his brother twice. "The weather didn't help the course, and the course itself is tough. Anyone who breaks par is playing some really good golf.

"This course just wears on you. You have to be sharp on every part of your game."

No comments: