Monday, June 29, 2009


Globe South Sports Notebook

Two local golfers

impressive at

Mass Open

Benjamin Spitz (above) of Norwell and Matt Parziale of Brockton.




By Justin A. Rice
June 28, 2009

The amateur field at this past week’s 100th Massachusetts Open was dominated by a pair of local golfers at a soggy Belmont Country Club.

Benjamin Spitz, a 25-year-old Norwell resident who plays out of The Harmon Club in Rockland, roared out to a an impressive two-day total 4-under-par 138 and was two strokes out of the lead heading into Wednesday’s final round.

But when he fell off the pace on the last day, Brockton’s Matt Parziale was there to pick up the torch.

“That’s too bad,’’ Spitz said after shooting a final round 77 to finish tied for fourth overall with a 2-over-par 215.

“I guess one of the amateurs played well, it’s always good to see an amateur up there,’’ said Spitz.

He was referring to the 22-year-old Parziale, who registered the low score of the day, a 3-under 68 to finish in a tie for second place with Greg Pieczynski at 212. Parziale started the final tied for eighth.

“I didn’t even know the scores were that high today until I walked off the 18th green,’’ said Parziale, who recently became a member at Thorny Lea GC in Brockton.

“I had a good chance [for birdie] on 17 and 18. This is the first time that I have played well here, which is nice.’’

A year ago, he failed to make the cut for the final round at the Open. Next year, he should be in the running to become the first amateur to capture the crown since 1999, unless he decides to turn pro later this summer.

He plans to travel to North Carolina this week to compete in the prestigious North & South tournament at Pinehurst before returning to play at the Massachusetts Amateur at The Country Club in Brookline July 13-17. He was the runner-up a year ago. Spitz, the 2006 State Amateur champ, will be there too.

Reality show winner returns to former stomping grounds
South Shore native Justin Peters, the inaugural winner of the Golf Channel’s reality show The Big Break in 2003 - competed at the Mass. Open for the first time since 2001. The 32-year-old, who now plays mini-tours in Florida, finished the tournament with a 12-over-par 231 (80-71-80).

“I had some success [at the Mass Open in the past], it’s a trophy I would love to get my name on,’’ Peters said. “I think I put extra pressure on myself. [It] just kicked my butt, I run back to Florida with my tail between my legs.’’

But first, he will play in this week’s Maine Open at Riverside GC in Portland.

Peters lived in Kingston the first 14 years of his life before his family moved to Pembroke. He no longer has any family living in the area, but this past week, he was planning to take his 8-month-old son and his wife of two years, Shelle, to see his childhood home and Plymouth Rock.

“She wants to see the exciting Plymouth Rock,’’ he said. “She’s from Indiana. She’s never been out this way.’’

Peters, who was working full time as a telemarketer before turning pro, doesn’t mind being known for his reality-TV exploits.

He’s focused on making the PGA Tour. “That’s the most important thing. I go about my business,’’ he said.

No comments: