Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hopkinton's Curran

debuts at Mass. Open


MetroWest Daily News
Posted Jun 22, 2009 @ 10:00 PM

BELMONT — In his first tournament as a pro, Jon Curran ran into a wall of water.

Playing in the 100th Massachusetts Open yesterday morning in monsoon-like conditions, the Hopkinton native shot a 4-over 75 about a month after graduating from Vanderbilt University and turning professional.

"I'm not really happy with the result, but the conditions were tough and scores were high," Curran said after finishing tied for 24th at Belmont Country Club. "But I think I could've done a lot better than that. It was just the way it went. It was tough but I could've done better."

Regardless of how he finishes up today - or tomorrow if he's among the low 40 scores after the second round - Curran knows his first Mass. Open was an invaluable experience.

"It's my first pro event playing for a check so it's a little different," said Curran, who won a state championship his junior year at Hopkinton High and was a 2007 All-American at Vanderbilt. "(It's nice to get) that out of the way and be over the hump, so to speak. Other than that it's a good event to get started. I feel like I can go out and make a decent check and get off to a good start."

Matt Donovan of Pittsfield led the field yesterday with a 3-under 68. Michael Welch of Quincy, who missed the cut at the U.S. Open over the weekend, was also in the field. He shot a two-over 73 to finish tied for sixth.

"If I made the cut I'd still come back and play it," Welch said of rushing back from the U.S. Open to play the Mass. Open. "But if I made the cut obviously I'd still be playing there (today)."

As bad as the conditions were in the morning, 29-year-old Jordan Burke of Needham said he thought the weather got worse throughout the day, judging from the higher scores. He shot an 80.

"It was one of the toughest days of golf I've ever played with the wind and the rain and the course is already tough as it is," said Burke, who is playing in his fifth Mass. Open and will try to make his first cut today.

With $15,000 going to the winner, Curran will have to make the cut to see some green of his own.

He can use all the cash he can get these days as he goes for his PGA Tour card this fall. To earn his card he will participate in the PGA Q-School in September, paying about $4,500 in entry fees when it's said and done.

"I think I can get that," he said of his PGA Tour card. "It's an expensive ordeal so I wouldn't do it if I didn't think I could get through."

To help his cause, the 22-year-old held a fundraiser at Framingham Country Club on June 15.

"It takes some money to get started," said Curran, who has been playing at the club for 16 years. "I needed a little help. A couple guys from Framingham decided to get something going. I was fortunate to get a fundraiser going in my name and get off to a start in terms of finances."

Curran's father, Peter, couldn't be more proud to see his son turn pro.

"He has a tremendous work ethic and never says die out there," Peter said. "He could have played better but if he didn't grind it could not have worked. That's the thing I like about him best."

Shooting 3-over after the first six holes, Curran settled down, birdied one hole and closed out his day with six straight pars.

"Six pars to close it out gives me some confidence going into (today)," he said. "You just have to plan for the absolute worst weather possible, which is tough to do because it's the middle of June, almost July.

"It's really brutal. You just have plan for absolute misery out there and get your mind ready for it that it's not going to be an easy day. You have to hang in and battle through, hopefully get a good round. Hopefully there will be a window where it's not nasty."

No comments: