Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Massachusetts Open

Welch's quest:

To soak it all in

By Justin A. Rice Globe Correspondent / June 23, 2009

BELMONT - The last several days have proven a hectic and soggy odyssey for Michael Welch of Quincy.

First, there was his experience at Bethpage Black, where the two-time New England Amateur champion failed to make the cut at the US Open.

He rushed home Saturday to prepare for the 100th Massachusetts Open that began yesterday at Belmont Country Club and encountered even worse weather.

“I haven’t been dry all week, I haven’t taken my rain gear off for a week,’’ said the 28-year-old, whose home course is Furnace Brook in Quincy.

When he emerged after his 2-over-par 73, which tied him for seventh with seven others, Welch tossed his soaking wet Titleist hat on a table in the clubhouse and wiped his brow. At the US Open, Welch played 36 holes in 22 hours because of weather delays and shot a two-round total of 9 over to miss the cut by five strokes. Although disappointed that he couldn’t continue on, Welch said he reassessed his approach to the game particularly seeing the fitness commitment of players at the top, such as Tiger Woods.

Welch said he needs to start eating better, take more instruction from coaches, and practice specific parts of his game rather than just play daily rounds, and last but not least, he needs to add strength training to his repertoire.

“I have never stepped foot in a gym my entire life,’’ said the 5-foot-11-inch, 170-pounder. “That’s one thing I’m thinking about doing.’’

Normally solid on the greens, Welch said putting was the one aspect of his game that let him down at the US Open. His troubles continued yesterday. Overall, his round was nothing short of erratic with one eagle, three birdies, three bogeys, and two double bogeys.

“I feel like I’m hitting the ball way too good to have these scores,’’ he said. “I think I hit 65 putts in two rounds [at Bethpage]. That’s unacceptable.’’

Welch was more than optimistic he can turn things around today.

“It would mean a lot to me,’’ he said of winning the Mass. Open, which will be cut to the lowest 40 scores and ties today prior to tomorrow’s final round. “I don’t think I could put it into words, but it would [mean] a lot to me.’’

Tournament leader Matt Donovan of Pittsfield, who heads into the second round two shots ahead of Benjamin Spitz after shooting a 3-under 68, knows Welch well and wasn’t surprised to see his pal rush back for this tournament.

“He’s playing for the same reason I am,’’ Donovan said. “It’s our job.’’

During the last decade, the only other player to play both tournaments was Geoff Sisk of Marshfield. Sisk tied for 40th at the 2004 US Open at Shinnecock Hills Country Club before driving overnight to play and eventually win the Mass. Open. In 2007, Sisk missed the US Open cut at Oakmont Country Club and won his sixth and most recent Mass Open.

Welch is hoping his next trip to the US Open means he won’t be rushing out of there for any reason.

“Once you get a taste you don’t want to leave, it’s where I want to be,’’ he said. “I wasn’t nervous. I felt like I belonged, I was ready to go. I’m definitely not hanging my hat on that. I’m moving forward.’’

And a Mass. Open title is the goal now.

No comments: